Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gameplan

So, now that I'm finished with 'Genji,' I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I obviously want to begin writing my own works, but I don't feel like I've had enough exposure to do that yet. This blog entry will help me collect my thoughts.

Reading List (authors)

Daisetz Suzuki
Monzaemon Chikamatsu
Matsuo Basho
Natsume Soseki

Reading List (Works)

I am a Cat - Soseki
Zen Buddhism - Suzuki

Genres to Explore and write

Koans - Short, absurd statements created by Zen practitioners
Senryu - Satirical Haikus
Japanese Fables - Need to investigate this a bit more, but I am interested in it.

Some links:

Website on Japanese Culture

Wikipedia Page on Japanese Lit


Quarterly Haiku Magazine

1 comment:

CMCEnglish said...

You're doing well, wily-son.

Probably the nearest American equivalent to the haiku are the Imagists poems. Did you all study them much in American lit? If not, and if you want to see some, let me know.

Also, have you considered reading some Zen parables? They may also give you some shorter pieces that will still have some of the world-creation that you enjoyed in Tales.

I look forward to your next creations. As you move into the literary mode, I've found a couple more sources that may be useful to you--human sources in the school.